Props for hazmat training

Homepage Forums Main Forum Props for hazmat training

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Walsh 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Rob Hourigan
    Participant
    Joined 1 year ago
    online 1 year ago

I am interested in finding out what kind of training props other agencies are using. Do you have home made ones or do you purchase ready-made equipment? We have a few items such as a 150 lb cylinder that we can fill with compressed air at the bottom through a valve to practice with our capping kit and a few drums with holes in them for plugging and patching.
    I am hoping to build a number of props on our training ground and in our hazmat station to make training more realistic. We also just purchased a HazSim system and will be putting it into service soon.

The Hazmat Guys
    The Hazmat Guys
    Joined 1 year ago
    online 1 day ago

I love the cheap things. How about a tank from a junked car to practice drilling and piercing. How about a “leak monster” (I know a guy who fabricates them). How about a car that simulates a “chemical suicide”. How about a intermodal container gained from a local scrap yard or even a shipper that is putting a container out to pasture that you can get?

Just some ideas…

Bobby

Rob Hourigan
    Participant
    Joined 1 year ago
    online 1 year ago

Thanks Bob. Yes, cheaper can be better, especially when I you have to go to the chief for the money.
    What is this “leak monster” that you mentioned?

Tom Walsh
    Participant
    Joined 1 year ago
    online 1 month ago

We have a major interstate in our city. We reach out to our local “heavy wrecker” company that toes all the trailers after a crash. They bring stuff by once or twice a year for us to cut, plug, patch, and pump out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.