In this episode, Bob and Mike sit down with Jon Baldridge from CavCom to discuss in-suit communication. They enjoyed learning about the cutting-edge technology that allows us to effectively communicate in tenuous situations.
Our hazardous materials training manual, National Emergency Response Hazmat Drills: 50 Drills for Use with Hazardous Materials Personnel, is finally available on Amazon!
Complete Show Notes
0:45 Background on CavCom
- Jon is a Senior Technical Specialist at CavCom
- CavCom is a radio communications and hearing protection company
- They’re a two-way radio dealer and manufacturer of radio communication accessories specifically designed for use in industry and emergency response applications
- CavCom has been in business for over 20 years and has sales and technical staff throughout the United States
- Prides themselves on designing and carrying top-of-the-line products and standing out above the competition with their service team – the success of their customers is their number one priority
1:50 What is Talk Through Your Ears® (TTYE) Technology?
- The ultimate two-radio radio accessory that allows users to transmit and listen to radio communications through specialized earpieces
- Small microphone located in the earset picks up the voice in the ear canal
- Allows the user to use virtually any respirator and any suit without sacrificing the ability to communicate clearly, regardless of the environment
4:30 Is This a Standalone System?
- TTYE is an accessory for a two-radio, allowing your team to choose the radio that’s best for you
- CavCom’s TTYE system connects to your radio system
- If you need to upgrade or change radios, they simply send a new adapter cable – you don’t need to purchase a new communication system
8:15 Is TTYE Dependent on Specific SCBAs or Suits?
- Since it’s an in-ear product, TTYE works independently of PPE
- Can be used in or out of your suit and with or without PPE
- TTYE can be used with any SCBA or PAPR, any suit, and any two-way radio
13:25 How Does TTYE Compare to In-Suit Communication Options?
- When customers try TTYE, they have an overwhelmingly positive response
- The sound quality is better from the in-ear microphone than older bone conduction style microphones
- Many other in-ear products don’t stay in the user’s ear, but TTYE does
- TTYE earsets are designed for comfort and will stay in the ear for hours of use
- Many options available to fit all sizes and shapes of ears – custom earpieces are even available
- Self-contained inside a chest harness
- Easy to use, comfortable, and designed for even the harshest of environments
20:00 Who’s Using TTYE?
- Used by a variety of industries and emergency response departments throughout North America
- CavCom works with Level A, B, and C teams that rely on effective communication
- Used by fire departments on the city, state, county, and federal levels, along with military branches, chemical teams, general industry, and more
- Used in a variety of environments, including confined spaces and for technical rescues
20:45 CavCom’s Other Offerings
- CavCom has a full line of two-way radios, including portable and mobile options
- Also have radio accessories designed for industry and emergency response, from lapel microphones and headsets to radio monitoring earsets
- Teams connected through radios and speaker microphones have found that using CavCom’s
RadioGear® monitoring earsets gives them clear audio and allows them to focus on the task at hand
- Also offer many options for hearing protection, including custom earplugs
21:45 Is CavCom a Radio Dealer?
- Yes – they are a Hytera radio dealer
- They also have a radio repair department that can repair all two-way radios
- Pride themselves on offering excellent service and response times
23:45 How Can We Give This Technology a Try?
- Stop by their booth (#205) at IAFC International Hazmat Response Teams Conference 2019 for on-site demos
- They have sales and technical staff who can assist you with the process
- Encourage teams to use their trial program to actually try the equipment connected to your radios prior to purchase
- Video training and on-site services are also available
26:50 Contacting CavCom
- Call them toll-free at 1 (866) 547-4988
- Visit CavCom.com
Have a question? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message on our Haz Mat Guys comment hotline: 843-628-1484
- THMG021 – Communications
- THMG081 – Tips to Perform Better in Level A
- THMG039 – PPE Selection Secrets, Part I